Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Harper's package


My gut feel says they undershot it. This stimulus package has "wait and see," written all over it. I started to look at historical data, but quickly realized there's no point - that's exactly what they used to build this plan. History says, Canada will be fine.

The package is 2% of Canada's GDP per year. That tells me they don't expect more than a 2% drop in our GDP this year or next. I'm sure the math is fine. I just don't think they're accounting for the dramatic shift in resource allocation that we're headed for. They definitely don't feel a sense of urgency.

I'll try to do something meaningful with the numbers on the weekend. But believe me, it's not easy. They make these documents for accountants that hate numbers.

Now, some fun points!
  1. I absolutely love what they've done on page 13 of the stimulus document. They've included raves from three different associations on how amazing this stimulus package is. The Canadian Chamber of Commerce believes it's an important step forward!
  2. If you're wondering about how Harper's speech went, Adam Radwanski does a nice job recapping that Stephen Harper is still a prick.
  3. I spoke with my Dad about the package, and he said he felt like Harper was just doing a stimulus package for the sake of doing it. It confirms my initial feeling that the government doesn't believe Canada's in trouble. I hope they are right.

No comments: